Saturday, January 19, 2013

EASY SHMEEZY CHICKEN SOUP

 
Winter Flue season worries? Well, stay hydrated; clear liquids, turmeric, vegetables... in short CHICKEN SOUP, PEOPLE!
Here's how I make it in my kitchen.
Take:
2 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup ginger chopped coarsely
Fresh turmeric, 1/4 cup, (can use 1 tsp powder if you don't have fresh)
1 medium turnip, (1 cup)
1 medium beetroot, (1 cup)
1 medium onion, ( I cup, coarsely chopped)
2 cups of Kale, coarsely chopped
1 tsp fresh lime juice or lemon juice
1 tsp of sea salt, (any salt is fine)
1 tsp. black pepper
Boil all the above for 1/2 hour on medium in a 6 quart pot of water.
If you are using a pressure cooker like I do, I turn down the heat after I hear the pressure being built up, and let it cook for another 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
While the soup cooks, chop 2 cloves of garlic and 1/4 cup cilantro and mix it in your cooked soup and enjoy!

My tid bits:
  • Add the minced garlic in the end to get it's maximum health benefits.
  • Puree the vegetables with a hand blender to make the soup creamy.
  • The citrus added during cooking helps leech out the calcium and minerals from the chiken bones.
  • I like to serve this for evening supper only because garlic smells strong and turmeric can stain teeth, so brush before you go to bed dahlins :-)
  • Have a cup every night, if you have the flue, I would have some every 2 hours, with rice, toast, crackers, noodles, pasta, what ever U like dahlins!!

Do this for your family and friends, if you don't have the root vegetables, you can use absolutely any vegetables you have, bell peppers, celery, celeriac, tomatoes...

No comments: